Please read before applying, non-complicance will render application void and reflects poorly on you:
GAO is looking for Computer Wizards for full-time summer or LOA internship positions.
Highlight of the Role:
You get to learn from the best, mingle with the best, and be on the forefront of developing the most cutting-edge solutions.
Jobs at GAO will be split up into modules, the Intern should be able to:-
- Execute ideas into fruition with speed and accuracy. (You will have large amounts of input into the architecture and design of the various modules.)
- Manage and distill large amounts of unstructured data into usable output.
- Be able to present the output of work done into usable format for non-tech savvy users.
The Intern should:
- Be in the process of completing a degree in one of the following fields: Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Data Science, or Applied Mathematics
- Have significant programming experience in at least one of the following programming languages and understand its best practices:
- a. Python (preferred)
- c. Ruby
- Know how to use Git
- Have experience in web development using at least one of the following web development frameworks:
- a. Python and Django (preferred)
- b. Ruby on Rails
- c. Node.js
- [Bonus] Strong knowledge in Data Structures and database design.
- [Optional] Be familiar with/willing to learn:
- a. Docker and Kubernetes
- b. React.js and ReactNative
- c. Python libraries such as Celery, TensorFlow, Theano, nltk, scikit-learn, etc.
Qualified candidates should possess the willingness to work hard in an unstructured environment where initiative and enthusiasm for learning are highly valued. Strong communication skills are essential.
How to apply:
- Please indicate the Job Title as the Header of the email.
- Please attach a PDF copy of your resume.
- Please attach an unofficial school transcript.
- Indicate your level of programming experience, especially in the languages and frameworks that we highlighted in ‘Requirements’.
- a. Please be specific and give examples. Tell us about the projects or coursework you completed that use these programming languages.
- b. If you have significant experience in programming languages outside of those mentioned in ‘Requirements’ (e.g. C, C++, Java, Haskell, Clojure, Go, Perl, etc.), please include them.
- Share a link to your GitHub page.
- Please send your cover letter and indicate your start date availability.
- If you were referred or recommended by a previous GAO Alum, please indicate in your email as well.
- Be familiar with basic networking concepts such as DNS. DHCP servers, difference between L1, L2, L3 switches and how to configure hardware and networking equipment.
- Be familiar with the different Cloud Computing Platforms and architectures such as AWS, GCP, Azure, Heroku, etc.
- Be familiar with linux operating systems. Basic knowledge of using Linux such as Ubuntu is a must! Extra points if you are able to use other operating systems such as ArchLinux, other Fedora or Debian variants, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, etc. Being able to configure and setup in Windows is also a must. If you are only able to program on a Macintosh we are probably not a good fit for you.
Recommended reading list (links to amazon.com):
Most Knowledge can be found online but here are some Programming Books
- Two Scoops of Django You might want to read the other Finance Books we recommend to other Interns since you might need to be familiar with the terminology.
- The Little Book of Hedge Funds
- Market Wizards
- Criteria and selections for the posting is at the sole discretion of the employer and shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified and applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Please do not hesitate to contact your career advisor for any assistance.