Please read before applying, non-complicance will render application void and reflects poorly on you:
GAO is looking for Accounting Associates for full-time summer or LOA internship positions.
Highlight of the Role:
Get to fulfill all your obsessive compulsive tendencies and do more with numbers than a standard internship experience at a Big 4 firm. Whilst we require basic bookeeping and accounting skills, the Intern will also get to work with senior personnel of GAO on real work projects and help assist and learn from the best in the following aspects a. Cross border tax planning and optimization b. Assisting the M&A team in going through BS, CF, IS to aid in valuations c. Assisting in forensic valuations in dispute cases
There are three main aspects to the job:-
- Accounting & compliance: You will assist clients in their financial digital processes. For example,
- Preparation and interpretation of year-end-closings, audit assistance, financial statements, tax and GST returns.
- Assist in daily data entry and maintain accounting system on a daily basis.
- Compile bank reconciliation data into Excel spreadsheets for further analysis
- Maintain Fixed Assets system this included controls, procedures and recordation of fixed assets.
- Posting and reconciling account transactions (i.e., Accounts Receivables & Payables)
- GST Submission report – Ensure all sales and expenses are subjected to GST and submit correctly.
- If the Intern demonstrates sufficient experience and knowledge, the Intern might be assigned work on management reports, budgeting, analytical bookkeeping, financial health & competitors analyzes and other financial projects more akin to management consulting or helping in Valuation Reports with the M&A team.
- Temporary assignments:
- Depending on GAO’s needs, you will assist in general accounting, credit control, internal optimization projects, dealing with government bodies such as IRAS, ACRA, MAS for accounting, tax and compliance purposes.As GAO is a global company, we will also be dealing with the equivalents of the above in Malaysia (e.g., SSM), Hong Kong (e.g., IRD, CR) and Interns are expected to embrace this challenge of navigating multi jurisdictional responsibilities.
The Intern should:
- Be in the process of completing a University degree or equivalent in Accounting.
- Be familiar and comfortable with Excel and able to perform the work tasked in Excel.
- [Bonus] In the process of studying for CFA or CAIA.
- [Bonus] Multi-lingual skills and ability to speak and write in other dialects or languages with a particular emphasis on Mandarin and Bahasa as this will enable you to understand Financials prepared in non-English.
Qualified candidates should possess the willingness to work hard in an unstructured environment where initiative and enthusiasm for learning are highly valued. Strong communication skills are essential.
How to apply:
- Please indicate the Job Title as the Header of the email.
- Please attach a PDF copy of your resume.
- Please attach an unofficial school transcript.
- Please send your cover letter and indicate your start date availability.
- If you were referred or recommended by a previous GAO Alum, please indicate in your email as well.
- Know how Balance Sheets, Income Statements, and Cash Flow Statements relate to each other at the back of your hand.
- Be up to date with the latest reporting standards and regulations affecting the financial industry such as the Common Reporting Standard (CRS), IFRS, GAAP.
Recommended reading list:
- Criteria and selections for the posting is at the sole discretion of the employer and shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified and applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Please do not hesitate to contact your career advisor for any assistance.